We were known not to get along well when we were growing up. You both will see us hurting each other, shouting and fighting for things that really didnt matter at all now that we are grown ups. I ignored him when he fractured his left arm because of his being so "kiat". I locked my cabinet for he always steals my clothes. Talk about sibling rivalry! He was the outgoing, energetic and talented son. I was the silent and obedient son.
What he didn't know is that I was proud to see him everytime he dances on stage. I even took pictures of him when he led his batch at USC-BS during his intramural presentation. I was even there when he danced in a local noontime show in Cebu. He currently is part of a reggae band in Cebu named Skanski Brews. I asked them to perform for our company when we had a summer outing 4 years ago.
What I hate is the fact that he isn't as studious as I was, knowing that we both came from the same set of genes. He finished college with no failure and he passed his board exams with just one try. If only he pushed his self to his limits he could have graduated with honors and he could have topped his board exams. Imagine him achieving that without even studying too hard, how much more if he did? I failed once in college and graduated with no honors.
My brother started joinging social causes when he met his bestfriend some 5 years ago. His bestfriend was a deaf-mute. That started his passion for the deaf-mute. Every Sunday, he serves at our local parish by doing sign language so that his deaf-mute friends can understand the holy mass. After his bestfriend died, he promised to continue the cause. Before, I found that very awkward, him hanging out with people who can't hear and talk.
He joined the Cebu Association of the Deaf. With this, he currently is part of ABS-CBN Central Visayas TV Patrol doing sign language for the deaf mute.Their group supported by Gualandi Volunteers Service Programme, Inc. joined a competition funded by world bank named Panibagong Paraan. Out of 500 entries, they were one of the 30 winners. Being a winner they were awarded 1 million for their advocacy.Their project's title is "Invoking Governance to Enable the Deaf ‘Listen’ to the News". Being a major “deaf advocacy voice” in Cebu, GVSP is part of a larger network comprising of several deaf organizations and disability groups operating under the Cebu City Council for the Welfare of Disabled People. The “core” guarantee for this project’s sustainability lies in the empowerment of newscasters to sign.
He currently is the promotions and marketing officer of the group and at the same time a part of the board of directors. Being part of ABS-CBN, they were featured by Mornings@ANC and TV Patrol. ABS-CBN Regional Network Group even wanted to replicate this achievement by wanting other regional stations to incorporate sign language in their news cast.
He asked me if I have friends who are willing to donate for their cause. We can deposit our donations to their bank account at Metrobank which is 041-3-04153498-3 and deposit under the name of Gualandi Volunteer Service Programme.
I didn't foresee that he will be getting this much achievement. I am so proud of my brother. He was able to do the things that I have always wanted to do. He has done so much for the deaf people. He is even a better son. He has made my parents happy and proud. I am so proud of my brother.
No comments:
Post a Comment