Monday, February 18, 2008

My thoughts on Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo

Last Friday, I witnessed the biggest Makati rally against GMA. Well for me, it was a gathering of people calling themselves "masa" who in their lifetime has not paid a single centavo for the taxes that we regular employees are being shelved of 30% of our salary every month. Them, being led by power hungry oppositionists, trying their best to get hold of Malacanang and leftists armed with communist ideologies trying to destroy the democratic foundations of our country.

I admit I am a GMA-supporter the moment she stood at EDSA 2. I believe she still is the best person to run the government. And I believe that no one in our present government will be able to surpass her achievements.

Admittedly I am saddened by the controversies her government is facing. I also admit that it may be true and at the same time it may just be another tactic to overthrow her.

I do not believe that the senate should be doing the hearings. For me it is just another stage for grandstanding for senators inking to become the next president or vice president. I believe that the ombudsman or the supreme court should be doing this instead. If GMA and her cohorts are indeed guilty, Ill accept that they be jailed forever.

For now, my mind tells me to just let her continue her reign in Malacanang. Im happy with our economy right now. I want her to continue her job. The provinces are doing well right now. Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, CDO and even Bohol, Camarines Sur and Dumaguete are experiencing an economic surge. Even Manila is, why on earth would these high rises be built along EDSA and Fort Bonifacio if investors arent confident of our economic standing. Why on earth are call center agents and IT professionals job hop if there are no jobs available for them. Why on earth are these malls sprouting every where if the Filipinos now don't have money. Progress for me is a constant struggle. Year by year as long as it is doing well, Im pretty sure that the normal Filipinos especially the "masa" will also experience the progress that other people are experiencing right now. This however will not be realized if we continue to go to the streets and protest. This will not be realized as long as our senators continue lambasting our government for media mileage.

I am for truth. Let them sue GMA and her people and show their evidence in court which is the best place for them to rant. Let the senate and congress unite to create laws that will make our country a better place. Let GMA and the executive branch of the government continue in providing the services that we Filipinos need and deserve from the taxes that we are paying.

I agree with Cardinal Vidal, that now is not the best time to go to the streets. Now is the best time to pray for our government and for its enlightenment. Our country is ill, very ill and is suffering from these things. The Filipinos deserve change. The Filipinos deserve a better life. I want corruption to be stopped. I want the culprits to be charged and jailed. I want the politicians to do their "real" jobs. I want the court to handle the scandals. I still want GMA to be my president. She still has has two years to do her job and prove that she is deserves my vote. But if she is indeed guilty, I want her and her people jailed.

No comments: